Welcome to What To Do For Scabies website. After suffering from scabies for months and trying everything, finally we found something that works. It was a brutal experience for my family, but FINALLY got rid of our scabies completely. Here is what I found out about treating scabies, and most of it is FREE!
Read carefully as this will determine the success of your treatment!
The treatment of scabies should be taken very seriously! If not done quickly & correctly, you risk the spread and re-contamination of yourself, your family and your friends. Delaying scabies treatment may put you at risk for complications, such as a bacterial infection. Many people panic when they realize they have scabies. I know I did! Stay calm and be sensible. Follow these simple steps:
Naturasil Scabies Cream, liquid bath products, and Sulfur-Lavender Soap are absolutely the BEST! They are completely natural and worked for me within two mite cycles (less than a week) to kill the scabies. Naturasil, a Nature’s Innovation company, has an A+ rating with the BBB (Better Business Bureau). Their natural products have been around for more than 10 years and the founder is a well-respected naturopath.
The best way to kill scabies quickly is to start a daily regimen and stick to it! Start with Naturasil Scabies Liquid mixed with Sulfur-Lavender soap in bath water, it is highly effective. Soak for awhile in it, then dry off. Apply the Naturasil Scabies Cream, but DON’T WASH IT OFF! I found the best results by doing this 1-2 times a day if you are serious about killing these scabies! After following this course of treatment for 1 week I could finally sleep at night!
Some people who have serious outbreaks of scabies also have immune system problems and may not know it. I believe that these mites thrive on people with a low immunity and it makes it more difficult to kill them off. Establish a healthy eating regimen and start using an Immune System Booster like Naturasil Immune Renew or a cow colostrum booster, which you can find a your local health food store. I don’t know if my family’s immunity was low, because we eating well and stay active, but we choose to take Naturasil’s Immune Renew just in case and it works pretty well. It is a mushroom based natural product.
We tried other natural treatments, like neem and caranja, before trying Naturasil. What we found was those treatments worked for a couple of days, but NEVER completely got rid of them. th is some of it knocks them back for a day or two, but I NEVER GOT RID OF IT COMPLETELY using these other treatments. Be sure to use the BenzaRid environmental spray to kill the mites on your bed, chairs, car seats, work chair, you name it. Don’t forget to spray where your pets lay, and their bedding too. Remember even though pets don’t host human scabies, they can ping pong it back and forth to you by sleeping or cuddling with them. So do yourself a favor and eliminate that possibility.
- The treatment of EVERYONE is the key to your success. People living under the same roof (family, children, friends, pets… I talk more about pets below) and other people you have been in close contact with will need to be treated to be sure the scabies do not spread or worse re-infect yourself in the future.
- Wash EVERYTHING in hot water (at least 110 degrees or more) with borax soap (20 Mule Team Borax). Borax soap works the best and it’s cheap! You can find it at any local grocery store, or Walmart, Target, etc. Dry everything on HIGH!
- For furniture, mattresses, and car seats use a proven mite killer like BenzaRid spray. Another confirmed product is Organic Crawling Bug Control Dust , which safely gets rid of all mites inyour environment. Both can be purchased online.
- Mattress covers! Get one & use it! Take mattress covers off and wash them daily or use BenzaRid to attack the scabies mites on your bedding daily.
- STOP EATING SUGAR! I know it sounds a little “off the wall” but these mites like sugar. What would it hurt to try it? I did and it helped me.
- Immune Boosters. Your body will try and fight off the invaders (scabies mites) by itself, but a weak immune system will make getting rid of these mites harder. and longer process. Naturasil makes a great immunity booster that is mushroom based called Naturasil Immune Renew, or you can get a colostrum (cow or bovine) based one at your local health food store.
- Itch Control Products. Any Oatmeal baths or cortizone creams should be used after or in-between treatments, because it can interfere with the actual treatment lotions that you use. These products do not kill scabies, but will alleviate some of the symptoms such as itching and rashes.
Pets can be a get mites. Human mites, such as scabies, do not live on pets for longer than a few days. However, if the can are using your pet as a host, you could eventually start giving it back and forth from family members to pets and vice-versa. It is best to keep the pets away or treat them as well during a scabies infestation. More about pet treatment options below.
CHEMICAL TREATMENT CHOICES:
Are you scared to try some medications because of the harmful chemicals they use? You should be. Almost all of the medications used to treat scabies contain pesticides which contain carcinogens that can cause cancer. Most scabies sufferers are prescribed either Permethrin & Benzyl Benzoate, neither of which kill them completely. The chemical treatments usually work for about a day, but then the symptoms return.
- Permethrin cream 5-10% is the most common treatment prescribed by doctors. Permethrin is the same ingredient contained in Frontline, which is a flea & tick treatment for dogs and cats. Scabies mites have become very resistant to this chemical, even mutating from it. I have used this cream before. It worked for a day or two, then the mites would be back. It also made me feel sickly, I assume because it’s a harsh chemical.
- Benzyl Benzoate lotion is prescribed by a doctor. It is not always effective, since scabies mites have become immune to this treatment. You will apply this lotion to entire body for several days between mite life cycles.
- Ivermectin (Oral) is occasionally prescribed. This is also used for dogs and cats to treat heartworm. This should be an absolute last resort.
- Prior medical consultation. You shouldn’t just start treatment because you “think” you have scabies. Make sure you really do first! A skin scraping is a quick and easy way start, but if you are sure you have contracted scabies I would move quickly to treatment and containment. The longer you wait, the worse it is going to be for you and your family!
- Get a skin scraping from a dermatologist or do a self administered skin scraping with mineral oil and a microscope or 30-45x pocket microscope. Skin scrapings are not always conclusive, however a high percentage can be diagnosed this way. Also, it can take weeks or months to get an appointment with a dermatologist, and most doctors will do the same testing you can do at home. My family had a severe outbreak, so I was desperate to find out right away what I had. I bought a mini microscope and found out myself in just a few minutes. Just apply some baby or mineral oil on the affected area and scape the area with a glass slide. If you have scabies you will see the mites under the microscope. It might take a little time to adjust to looking through a microscope, but keep looking. You will be HORRIFIED when you do see them, but you will know for sure and can start treatment immediately. A pocket microscope or standard microscope is the fastest way to determine if you have scabies or not.
- Fortunately, my family did not have any furry friends during our “break out”, though we have since adopted a charming cat. Some people think their mite problem was brought on by their pet. Pet mange or “sarcoptic scabies or sarcoptic mange” is NOT contagious to a human. You can temporarily host the sarcoptic mites, but not actually become infected by them. Human scabies and animal scabies are two different types of mites completely. However, there are many types of bird and rat mites that can host on humans and pets at the same time. Generally itching is over the entire body including the head and more so at night. Traditional scabies have burrows at the folds of the skin and does not go above the neck line. All comments from readers state that the Naturasil pet mite products are great for naturally killing mites on your pets.
- Some people suggest, garlic pills and immune system boosters from a natural foods store may help. These all still require a very rigorous treatment regimen, this is not in place of treatment, but to help speed up recovery.
- Pomegranate extract (liquid or pill form) and organic apple cider are also said to be aids in treating scabies, while also following the above treatments.
- Air mattresses are helpful if you don’t want to change and wash your bedding every day. You would still need to sanitize it with BenzaRid or an equivalent mite spray, but it may cut down on some cleaning.
- Plastic trash bags are great to store your clothes, towels, and sheets in if they are dirty and you arn’t going to the laundromat to do a mass wash. It’s also a safe place for clean clothes.